Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Shop handmade. Shop local.

There are a few good reasons to shop handmade and local. My personal favorite is that I'm helping someone in my own community find success. In turn I get amazing products that delight the recipients. It's pretty much a win/win.  As someone fairly new to the whole selling thing I can honestly tell you how important each and every sale is. Every single one makes an impact, not only on my business success, but on mine. It makes you feel darn good when someone likes your stuff enough to buy it!

So this year I'm going to make an effort to purchase more locally and more handmade. If an item turns out to be both of those things, BONUS!

Here are a few ways I'm planning to do this:

ETSY.COM
Did you know you can shop local on Etsy? It's true! There is a search option just for it! If you're on the main page just head down to the very bottom of the collumn on the far left and click on SHOP LOCAL. This is so awesome. I've already purchased one thing locally and I plan to do a few more, here are a few of my favorites so far.

salt and pepper bowls.
Salt and pepper bowls
From paulova on Etsy


Stemware Coasters Wine Tags set of 6 Standard Size
Stemware Coasters
From DimLim on Etsy

Stackable Simple Ball Chain With Mini Leaf Branch, One Bracelet
Stackable Simple  Ball Chain Bracelet 
From Bumhemian on Etsy

CRAFT FAIRS
If you're not an Etsy shopper (what? do those people even exist? I kid. Well sort of.) there are bound to be some amazing craft sales in your area. I will be going to one of Portland's largest next weekend. The ever amazing CRAFTY WONDERLAND. The name says it all. It's a wonderland of all things good and crafty.  My girlfriends and I grab our holiday beverage of choice (eggnog latte for me) get in line early and then spend a few hours wandering from booth to booth. It's awesome. Look for a craft fair in your area. You can try the two links below. They aren't great, but they do seem to have a few listings.


www.craftlister.com
http://festivalnet.com/


What kind of Christmas shopping are you doing this year? Anything handmade?

No comments:

Post a Comment